sábado, 20 de febrero de 2016

Diary of a Trainee Teacher: Week 3 (15th to 19th Feb)

Third week getting trained at IES La Nucia to become an English teacher.
By Youtube

This week has driven me to live new experiences, by participating in new groups such as FPB 2 (Formación Profesional Básica 2) or attending the first tutorial session in 1st C.


FPB is one of the new offerings in the education system which came into force in 2014-2015 following LOMCE (Organic Law on Education). It is aimed at favouring the acquisition of skills necessary to work in a trade, in a craft or as a technician. Craft vocations are usually based on manual or practical activities and are traditionally non-academic but related to a specific trade or occupation.
The program has a minimum duration of two years and it includes a training period of 240 hours in work centers. In other European countries FP is known as VET (Vocational Education and Training). The speciality offered at IES La Nucia is Electricity.

During the first class with this group (12 teen boys), it surprised me positively their effort in introducing themselves in English and working throughout the lesson. I could observe that the teaching methodology is different from the one used in the secondary stage. Why??
Well, basically because they are not constrained to a certain book. Instead, they work on multiple dynamic group activities that are more oriented to the communication of the language and not so much on grammar.

On the next day, I worked the entire lesson with an ACIS student who is not capable to follow the rythm of the standard class. Instead, he always works on specific materials of basic vocabulary. I used that opportunity to get to know him and his learning history better. But specially, and most important, I listened to how he felt about English lessons... Here it comes, one of my first challenges!

Moving on with the best of the week, I prepared myself to teach my first lesson on Make & Do in 1st BACH. I showed a presentation of some of the rules when to use "make" and when to use "do". Students got really interested and started making questions. Then we reviewed some exceptions to the rules. Finally, we distributed the class in 4 teams and I played them an online game activity related to make/do. Both results and feedback were very positive among students. Here's a picture showing the teams' score.
The written exam for the A2 certifications took place on Tuesday, 16th February, from 17:00 to 19:00. I helped Richard and Isabel to conduct the three sections of the exam (listening, reading and writting).


Furthermore, we got to know the "Lliurex" operating system used in the education segment of our region. All public schools are provided with "Lliurex" based computers by the Generalitat Valenciana.

In one of the 2nd ESO sessions, the group was far too nervous, and particularly two students were constantly interrupting the lesson. So the teacher decided that I would take them out to the department and work closely with them.

Finally I'd like to tell you about a group activity Richard and I carried out at Integra. The objective was to learn the right to speak. We divided the class in two groups (by gender) to give them more confidence to speak up and we gave six different topics to discuss (see picture below). Each of the girls threw the dice and spoke about that topic during one minute without letting the others interrupt. And so on... In general, I noticed lack of confidence, insecurity, shyness and prejudices. But also that they had no hobbies, interests, passions, whatsoever.

With this picture I thank you for following my post and talk to you next week!

Cheers.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario