viernes, 5 de febrero de 2016

Diary of a Trainee Teacher: Week 1 (2nd to 6th Feb)


Thanks for following my posts during my training period at IES La Nucia (Alicante).

As I anticipated on my latest post, my immediate challenge became evident when I saw myself 8:55am entering the room quietly and taking my seat on the left back corner, just as another teenager did (except for the "quietly" remark). It was 4th ESO D group, approx. 30 children aged between 15 and 16 years old. English teacher: Angela.
By Pixabay
They immediately noticed me in the corner of the room and this sparked some curiosity and confusion. My first impressions of the group were tremendously positive, as I felt the lesson had been run without any major interruptions. Students in general showed themselves respectful, polite and keen on learning.

The rest of the lessons with other groups were 1st BACH (aged 16-17), 1st ESO (aged 12-13) and 2nd ESO (aged 13-14). They ran fine, but very differently.

However, they all shared one common activity: Group dynamics to make students speak in English. It actually consisted of a round of questions that students addressed to me about my interests, hobbies, studies, etc. The 'catch' was that teachers presented me as a non-spanish speaker. Therefore they were 'obliged' to make the effort and speak in English.

From these lessons I made a few observations:

1. Younger students (1st and 2nd ESO) tend to interrupt the pace of the lesson more often. In general, they receive stricter commands by the teacher as they become talkative and inattentive. 

Commands and clear instructions such as: 'Open your student's book on page 34', 'keep your table tidy' or 'respect your right to talk' are important in this stage.


2. Roll-calling at the beggining of the lesson and 'homework checking' is an essential daily task in all levels to be sure students are taking study seriously and evaluate procedures and attitudes throughout the year.


3. A few adaptations on activities should be made for those students who are not capable to following the lesson and have more difficulties to learning the language. The objective is to ensure an educational system on the grounds of equity and inclusion.


So far, so good! I am enjoying every minute of my hands-on training and can't wait to attend to the next lessons. 

More classroom experience coming next week!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario